terça-feira, 5 de setembro de 2017

the poet of ignorance/o poeta da ignorância



THE POET OF IGNORANCE

Perhaps the earth is floating,
I do not know.
Perhaps the stars are little paper cutups
made by some giant scissors,
I do not know.
Perhaps the moon is a frozen tear,
I do not know.
Perhaps God is only a deep voice
heard by the deaf,
I do not know.

Perhaps I am no one.
True, I have a body
and I cannot escape from it.
I would like to fly out of my head,
but that is out of the question.
It is written on the tablet of destiny
that I am stuck here in this human form.
That being the case
I would like to call attention to my problem.

There is an animal inside me,
clutching fast to my heart,
a huge crab.
The doctors of Boston
have thrown up their hands.
They have tried scalpels,
needles, poison gasses and the like.
The crab remains.
It is a great weight.
I try to forget it, go about my business,
cook the broccoli, open and shut books,
brush my teeth and tie my shoes.
I have tried prayer
but as I pray the crab grips harder
and the pain enlarges.

I had a dream once,
perhaps it was a dream,
that the crab was my ignorance of God.
But who am I to believe in dreams?

* * *



* * *

O POETA DA IGNORÂNCIA

Talvez a terra esteja flutuando,
não sei.
Talvez as estrelas sejam papel picadinho
por tesouras gigantes,
eu não sei.
Talvez a lua seja uma lágrima congelada,
não sei.
Talvez Deus seja apenas uma voz profunda
ouvida pelos surdos,
não sei.

Talvez eu seja ninguém.
Certo, tenho um corpo 
e não posso escapar dele.
Eu gostaria de sair de minha cabeça,
mas isso não vem ao caso.
Está escrito na tábula do destino 
que estou presa nessa forma humana.
Sendo esse o caso, 
gostaria de chamar atenção ao meu problema.

Há um bicho dentro de mim, 
se agarrando ávido ao meu coração, 
um enorme caranguejo.
Os médicos de Boston
lavaram suas mãos.
Tentaram bisturis, 
agulhas, venenos e afins.
O caranguejo permanece.
Um grande peso.
Tento esquecê-lo, fazendo minhas coisas,
cozinhando brócolis, abrindo e fechando livros,
escovando os dentes, amarrando os sapatos.
Tentei orações, 
mas quando oro o caranguejo se agarra com mais força
e a dor aumenta.

Uma vez sonhei,
talvez fosse um sonho, 
que o caranguejo era minha ignorância de Deus.
Mas quem sou eu pra acreditar em sonhos?

(tradução minha de SEXTON, Anne. The Poet of Ignorance (from The Awful
Rowing Toward God) in The Complete Poems: Houghton Mifflin Company Boston, 1981)



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Licença Creative Commons
gaveta, galáxia by Sebastião Ribeiro is licensed under a Creative Commons Atribuição-Uso Não-Comercial-Não a obras derivadas 3.0 Unported License.